She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31

Monday, April 21, 2008

From My Kitchen ~ Amish Style Oven Fried Chicken

This yummy recipes comes from Patty at Morning Ramble. It was sooo good. And I loved the fact that I didn't have to stand over it and wait for it to get done. I just put it in the oven and went outside until my timer told me it was time to open the oven!



My family loved it too! Do you see the little white spot on one of the chicken pieces on the right? That is where my husband simply could not wait until I took the photo. I had to make him put that piece back on the serving plate until I could snap this shot. Now that's a testimonial! LOL Thanks Patty!

Amish Style Oven Fried Chicken
serves 4-5

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
8-9 chicken pieces - legs, thighs, breasts

Place the oil and butter in a shallow cooking pan (a jelly roll pan is perfect) and put in a preheated 375 oven to melt. Set aside.

In a large paper sack, combine the flour and seasonings. Roll the chicken pieces, 3 at a time, in the melted oil-butter mixture, then drop them in the sack and shake to cover.

Place on a dish or wax paper until you have them all done.

Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down. Bake for 45 minutes.

With a spatula, turn over and bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until the top crust begins to bubble. Serve hot or cold, but the crust texture is better if the chicken is not refrigerated before eating.


I did not have a paper bag on hand when I made this chicken. I used a 1 gallon zipper bag. However, I do believe the coating would have been much better had I followed the instructions. So try to get that paper bag before you give this a try. I know I will.

The pan drippings make a tasty gravy. We had mashed potaotes & corn on the cob as our sides. It was like an old-fashioned country picnic ... without the ants!

Smiles,
Lea

17 comments:

Mary L. Briggs said...

OH, that sounds so good! I love chicken cooked almost any way there is~thanks for the yummy sounding recipe!!

Mary

Katy said...

That looks FANTASTIC!!!! YUM!!! :)

Julie said...

Oh my, Lea!!!!!

My mouth is watering -- this sounds sooooooooo delicious!

Thank you, too, for posting the recipe. It's tough, somedays, (when school runs too long) to get supper on the table at a decent time. Now, if I could just had some sort of an early warning for when we're gonna have one of "those" school days -- I'd be set with this recipe!

Thank you, again, for sharing!!!
Many Blessings,
Julie

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

It is yummy and it is on my menu for Sunday. I have the recipe posted on my recipe blog. Great minds think alike....

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

One more night of left over meatloaf, and then . . . . it will be this chicken! Can't wait! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Cora

Toby Parsons said...

thanks for sharing the recipe. I plan to try it for my hubby, who is a meat eater! :)

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! It looks goooooood!

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Sounds so easy to make, will try it Friday night. Have a blessed day, RoseMarie

Pam said...

Ok...now I'm hungry!!!
That looks really good and I think I'm going to give it a try tonight or tomorrow night. My husband and I are back on "South Beach" and that looks like something we can have and really enjoy.
Thank you, Lea for sharing the recipe.
Blessings,
Pam

Anonymous said...

YUMMY, and I am so hungry right now. I am still visiting my favorite blogs!

Celene said...

I'm gonna try that one! Sounds so good and easy! Thanks. God Bless, Celene

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sweet Lea! Came by to say hello to my friend! This chicken looks mighty good and I think the family would love it for Sunday dinner! Thanks for the recipe! I love the cute denim apron you are wearing below. You are a real cutie pie you know! Have a wonderful day and I will visit again soooon! Love, Maryjane

Barb said...

It's so delicious!! I just made it. It tastes like Kentucky Fried. I'd say put the marjoram in it; that's what gives it the KFC taste. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. Sometimes, I'm at a loss as to what to make for dinner, instead of just the same-old same old. Now, if I can just keep from eating all of it before my husband and girls get home;) Thanks, again, so much!!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Oh that looks so yummy Lea!!! I am going to have to try this one!! Have a Blessed day!!~Wendy

Day4plus said...

Wow---That is just how I do my chicken and have been since the stone age. It is always good. MB

joyh82 said...

Yum.. this looks wonderful!

Leaon Mary said...

Boy that looks MELT IN YOUR MOUTH DELICIOUS! Grandma Ruby would hav said, "Good Good Good!"
That plate looks pretty too!
WOW... we ARE ALIKE! Hubbies too coz mine wouldn't have waited for the picture either. heehee
Giggles,
Lea