She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

From My Kitchen ~
Old Fashioned Apple Cake



I just have to share a wonderful recipe that I discovered at Mandy's Mayberry State of Mind. It is a very old recipe and turned out so good that both Jase & Luke declared it "Awesome"! That, my friends, is an excellent review especially since Luke doesn't even enjoy cake. So thank you, Mandy, for adding another recipe to our Family Favorites!

Aren't these just the prettiest little apples? And their taste was amazing. I bought them for juicing but they were perfect for this cake. Every apple should taste so good!


This cake is heavy and dense but the fresh apples add just the right burst of juiciness ~ is that a word? Well, that's what they do anyway.

Miss Earline's Old-Fashioned Apple Cake

3 apples peeled and chopped
2 1/2 cups flour (use self rising, or plain flour plus 4 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp salt)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Need help peeling those apples? Just get one of these apple peelers and they'll be begging to peel "just one more"! LOL My boys declare it the most effective ingenius invention of the 20th century.


Just dump all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and hand mix. The mixture will be very thick and heavy.

Then spoon the mix into a well greased and flour bundt or tube pan. I used an old angel food pan and it worked great!

I wish I could remember where I got this old, heavy pan. It has more writing on it than a short novel! Even the Department of Agriculture has to get their little statement engraved on the pan too! It says that it is a Re-Kul Pan O Cake ~ Propety of Luker Cakes of Urbana, Illnois. Apparently, they made their Angel Food cake and sold them in the pan which could be returned for a refund within 10 days! It has an address on the bottom where you can send for the free recipe as well. Wonder if the company still exists? I might just give it a try.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until done.

The finished cake without the glaze drizzle. It was soooo good!


Mandy suggests that if you'd like a little extra sweetness, you can make a sweet glaze from powdered sugar and just a bit of milk to drizzle over the cooled cake. I didn't use the glaze but I'm sure it makes it extra pretty as well.

Next time I make this recipe, I'm going to try to replace a portion of the oil with applesauce and then try replacing the entire cup of oil with applesauce. Applesauce is a great oil replacement in most baked goods. Just replace an equal amount of oil with an equivalent amount of applesauce. It cuts calories and tastes great. After 40, it seems every little calorie counts! LOL

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! If you give it a try, be sure to stop by and thank Mandy for sharing her old family recipe with us.

Blessings,
Lea

25 comments:

Nancy M. said...

It looks like it would be delicious! I love that apple peeler. If I had that my son would probably do it for me. Thanks for sharing the site where you got the recipe, I enjoyed visiting there.

CozyGirl said...

That looks so yummy !Thanks for sharing the recipe!Have a wonderful day !
Janae :-)

At Home With Amy said...

Lea your cake looked delicious. You can drizzle carmel sauce over the cake if you want to change it up a bit. I'm sure you could replace all the oil in the recipe with applesauce. I have done that for several apple treats and they turned out great.
Blessings,
AMY

Lanny said...

This has been a favorite recipe ever since we moved to the farm and were faced with more apples than I knew what to do with! I love how moist it is! But I never thought of putting it in a tube pan and what a real cool pan you have!

Janene said...

Mmmmm...Mmmmmm...Mmmmm!
That looks delicious and I bet it smelled intoxicating too!
I am definately going to try this...I will stop by and let Mandy know how mine turns out!

Mandy said...

Wow, thanks for making my little family recipe famous Lea! Miss Earline would be proud!

Blessings,
Mandy

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

That recipe is what my friend Jean calls Apple Nobby Cake. It is indeed heavy and dense and oh so good!

Julie said...

Yum---I love apple cobbler with ice cream, or course. thanks for sharing. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Julie

Susan said...

Yummy! I love to bake cakes but have never made an apple cake. We'll have to give it a try.

basketsnprims said...

Lea,
That looks delicious. I actually have an old bundt pan & an angelfood pan. Thanks for the recipe. By the way, I've even replaced the oil in cakes and brownies and you really can't tell the difference. Have a wonderful day.
hugs,
Pam

Shelley said...

You are so sweet to share this - this sounds like a great recipe!!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh, my! I'm not much of a baker but now that I know I have diabetes, they sure are appealing to me. My Mom used to make the best spice cake and I'm sure it has applsauce in it. And her fabulous oatmeal cake with the toasted coconut and pecan topping. See what is happening here? Now I am craving cake!

Nancy Jo said...

Thanks Lea, I'll try that tomorrow, looks good.
Nancy Jo

Angie said...

Wow does that sound yummy! I may have to give it a try! Thank you so much for sharing!
Enjoy your day, angie

Sara said...

That looks like the apple cake my Granny used to make. I loved that cake. So happy you shared it. I'm new to your blog and just wanted to say how much I am enjoying it. Take care!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Thanks to you and Mandy, can't wait to try this.

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Oh no! It is time for bed and your cake looks YUMMY! I hate going to bed while I want to eat :-)

Renna said...

It looks delicious, Lea, and sounds pretty much like my mom's Fresh Apple Cake recipe I use. I never even though about substituting some of the oil with applesauce, though!

Raggedy Angel said...

Shame on you...I think I gained a pound just reading about it.Ha Ha...no really that sounds wonderful!!! Beth

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I love anything apple, and this looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing it. I really enjoyed seeing your neat vintage cooking items too! Very homey!
I hope life is treating you well.
Enjoy the rest of your week!

Paula said...

Mmmmm that looks wonderful Lea... I can just about imagine how your kitchen smelled while that was baking!! I have an apple peeler like that too I bought in Pigeon Forge, and I use it ALL the time. It's such a timesaver!

Carrie P. said...

I had all the ingredients and I made the cake on Tuesday. It is so yummy!

Suzi Q said...

looks so yummy~ this one I will certainly try. I'd like a slice now with my hot coffee.....Thank you for sharing.

texasmcvays said...

We made this tonight and it was very good! All of us liked it a great deal! I asked my dh to pick up some ice cream on the way home and are we glad we did. We are going to have the leftovers for breakfast as we have a busy morning putting in our garden!
Oh, I did not have white sugar (which is so odd for us) so I had to make it with brown sugar it had a wonderful maple flavor through it. Next time I am going to use applesauce instead of oil, too. Thanks again!
Mrs.M

Unknown said...

This really looks good. I have an old angel food cake pan I got from my mom that I love to use. I'm gonna whip this up in that pan as soon as I get some apples. Thanks for posting so many great recipes!
Nancy.