She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31

Monday, May 5, 2008

From My Kitchen ~ Blueberry Pecan Quick Bread



Such a delicious fruit-filled quick bread that can be easily doubled and frozen! The serving dish in the photo is a "thrifty" find that my mom picked up for only $2. It is so pretty, and I just "love" serving bread to my family in this lovely piece.

1/4 c shortening
1/4 c margarine/butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c bananas, mashed
1-1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/2 c quick oats
1/2 c blueberries
1/2 c nuts, chopped

In a large bowl, cream shortening, margarine and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; stir in bananas.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir oats, blueberries and nuts into dry ingredients. Carefully blend the dry mixture into the creamed mixture, stirring only to moisten.

Pour batter into a well greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Allow bread to cool completely on a wire rack.


This is a very versatile recipe. I added 1/2 cup more blueberries and left out the oats because I didn't have the quick oats. You can use walnuts or pecans or just leave the nuts out altogether. Just use what you have in your pantry!

Enjoy,
Lea

16 comments:

Wilma said...

this sounds wonderful. you really need to publish the reciepe for the strawberry amish bread. tell the boys and Jeff Hi and i have a card for Jase for graducation. Love reading your blog cant wait till you post a new entry.

Love cousin Wilma

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I can't wait to try this, Lea! I love blueberries so much!

I'm with Wilma here. Waiting for that strawberry amish bread recipe!!!!

Cora

Toby Parsons said...

Oh Lea! My very first impression of this post, before reading anything, was, "Oh,that is beautiful!!!!" You win the blue ribbon for presentation! :)

I am printing your yummy sounding recipe and plan to make this and Cora's quick bread soon. I am re-making both recipes, so will let you know how it turns out. I will use organic coconut butter, organic olive oil, and organic whole wheat pastry flour in place of some of your listed ingredients.

By the way...I found Cora and Katy via your blog! Thanks for 2 new blog friends. :) Acutally, I do remember visiting Katy's blog during the blog party I think. :)

Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Katy said...

Yummy! If i liked blueberries...i think i would LOVE this!!! :)

Julie said...

Ohhh....that looks so yummy. I really like the dish, too. Where do you find such great recipes. They are all so nutritious and good? Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I am planning on making this tomorrow using Splenda instead of sugar so Alan can enjoy it...he loves blueberries and I always keep some in the freezer for him...let you know how it turns out in cause anyone else is diabetic or watching calories...

Wanita said...

Lea, I made this today, and it is so yummy! I put a post on my blog about this recipe, and I linked back to this post ~ I hope you don't mind.

Thank you for sharing this recipe and for your lovely blog.

Pam said...

This looks and sounds so good! I love blueberries. Thank you for another wonderful recipe.
Hugs,
Pam

Julie said...

This sounds delicious!
Wish that I had some bananas, so that I could try it now!
Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Your bread dish is beautiful!
Blessings,
Julie

Paula said...

Mmmm, looks good Lea! And the dish is beautiful, too!

Anonymous said...

Lea, that looks wonderful! I'm going to have to try it, since I just happen to have some bananas needing to find a home and some frozen blueberries left from last summer's picking!

Loved the last post too... we used the Principle Approach in our homeschooling, and your friends' blog looks like some good reading!

Kim :-)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Lea, I have been enjoying your blog. May I add a link to it from my blog? Hugs, Linda

Leaon Mary said...

Hey COUSIN,
You HAVE TO BE thee greatest cook... OHmiGOSH... I MUST get a new stack of recipe cards and keep them by the computer for WHEN I VISIT YOUR BLOG.
WOW! LOOK OUT MARTHA... HERE COMES FARMHOUSE BLESSINGS!
~Lea of shabbyOldePottingShed~

Celene said...

You're killin' me! That looks sooo good I can almost smell it. I am not a baker so I will just have to admire it from afar. Come by and visit. God Bless, Celene

Deb said...

Thanks Lea, I think that's what I'll do, I already have morning glory seeds, I planted some on the front trellis by the porch they. I planted in pots then tranfered them but the way you explained seems better. I hope they can take the sun because it gets really hot back there. Thanks again. Deb

Anonymous said...

I just made this bread, Lea and used Splenda instead of sugar...came out great for those who are diabetic....you will love it!