She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Proverbs 31

Monday, March 31, 2008

From My Kitchen ~ Ham, Broccoli & Potato Casserole

This recipe comes my sister in law, Teresa. She was kind enough to share it with me.

This is a great way to use up that leftover ham. But the best thing about this recipe is that you can remove the ham completely and make it a veggie casserole. I just load up on the broccoli and it really is just as good. I usually make two because my husband loves the veggie casserole even better!



Ham, Broccoli & Potato Casserole
3 baking potatoes, thinly sliced (1 1/4 lbs)
1/4 c butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper (I use more because I am a pepper fanatic!)
About 10 oz of broccoi (you can use a bag of frozen as well)
2 c cubed ham

Cheese Sauce
3 T flour
3 T butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
2 c milk
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

First, arrange sliced potatoes in a 13x9 baking dish. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in salt, pepper and paprika. Drizzle butter mixture over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes are browned and tender when pieced.

While those potatoes are cooking, prepare broccoli by steaming or cook according to package instructions. Drain & set aside. Arrange broccoli over cooked potatoes. Then add cubed ham over broccoli.

Now for the cheese sauce ~ melt butter in a small saucepan. Blend in flour, salt, dry mustard & pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Turn of heat and add cheese. (Oh my! I'm getting so hungry just typing this!) Pour Cheese Sauce over potatoes, broccoli & ham. Sprinkle with paprika for some nice color.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes more.

Blessings,
Lea

10 comments:

Paula said...

Mmmm...sounds good, Lea! I like the veggie one, too, but Hubby likes ham- maybe I could make a half and half!

Katy said...

oh my gosh....that sounds absolutely WONDERFUL lea!!! I will have to copy this down and try it sometime...my family would LOVE it! Thank you!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Right up my alley, Lea! Can't wait to try this one! No ham left, though, but the veggie idea sounds wonderful. Can't wait to try this as I have everything on hand. Catalina Chicken tonight, then on to this! Cora

Devon said...

holy moly--that picture made me SOOO hungry!!!! looks great! just wanted to let you know that Cathy and I didn't choose your prank ideas for our BIG prank(s) - would've been hard to get into the mens bathroom--although.. hehe... maybe i can prank old cathy!! HEHE... anyway.. the tape idea worked awesome--i couldn't resist trying it today! so i'd like to send you something little as a thank you for taking the time to enter and all!! email me at: livingthesmalltownlife(at)gmail(dot)com!!!!

Annie said...

That looks wonderful, I am going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Annie

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Well, I just tried it! Couldn't resist! I did my Catalina Chicken dish, then decided I'd do the potatoes, too. Didn't have ham, and I didn't have broccoli, so I did. . . . . onions! Wow!!!!! It's a keeper, everyone! Just out of this world. Had a side dish of spinach with it and it was a delicious meal. Rated a 10 in my book! Cora

Kimmie said...

Hi Lea!
Oh My Goodness...that looks so wonderful! I have to copy it. I have two bags of cut up ham in the freezer. I love your reciepes! You are a wonderful cook.

Hugs,
Kimmie

Jodie Wolfe said...

Looks delicious.

Hello!
I am in the process of researching for a book I would like to write that addresses ten struggles that Christian women face. I would love to have your input as well.

Thank you for any help you can give me. All I need is the list of ten things as well as your age. Thank you!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Lea! This dish looks YUMMY to the tummy! Great picture! Thanks for sharing! I LOVE your blog farmgirl! Maryjane Lee

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

You are my favorite source of new recipes for my blog! I haven't been working too much but I know I will be will testing this recipe very soon and posting it. Thanks for sharing....